Wednesday 8 August 2012

Walkable Neighbourhoods


Did you know:
  • that New York City, with a population of 8,174,290, is the most walkable City in the US? No wonder everybody loves to go there!
  • that Red Deer is considered very walkable, with a score of 78?
Walkability offers surprising benefits to our health, the environment, our finances, and our communities.
Health: The average resident of a walkable neighborhood weighs 6-10 pounds less than someone who lives in a sprawling neighborhood.
Cities with good public transit and access to amenities promote happiness.
Environment: 82% of CO2 emissions are from burning fossil fuels. Your feet are zero-pollution transportation machines.
Finances: Cars are the second largest household expense in the U.S.One point of Walk Score is worth up to $3,000 of value for your property.
Communities: Studies show that for every 10 minutes a person spends in a daily car commute, time spent in community activities falls by 10%.


Want to know more?  Check out this website: http://www.walkscore.com/

3 comments:

  1. I've wondered what life might be like living "car free", but haven't taken the plunge as of yet.I can see the benefits of considering this option to my health.I also think I could try it on for a week or 2 before selling the car, etc. Baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb, living without a vehicle is becoming quite popular. I just have to think of my first year out of school. I had an apartment downtown, within walking distance to work and lots of shopping. And there was always the bus to get to the mall when weather made walking unpleasant. I think our western lifestyle (and our age) that makes us consider it unrealistic but think of all those individuals who for one reason or another don't (or can't) drive. Car sharing programs (http://eartheasy.com/move_car_sharing.html)will also make it easier to live most of the time without a vehicle but still have one at our disposal for those longer trips.
    For those of us living out of town, I'm not sure what the answer is. Living without a vehicle, or even carpooling, is not practical in most instances; and hybrid vehicles are not cost-effective because our travel is primarily highway related.
    Good for you for even considering baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda,
      I'm curious about car sharing and how this might work. I can see the benefits and challenges on both sides.I agree, living out of town seems too complicated to consider. I think you need to find a suitable community that works in your individual situation. Times, they are a changin'...I think that's how that quote goes!

      Delete